I’m really trying to be better at regularly uploading blogs for you. Think of it as a New Year’s resolution, if you will. I also want to post more recipes on here for you all to try.
So with that, I decided to make a butternut squash pasta sauce and oh my! Let me tell you, this was GOOD. And really easy to make!
I added my pasta sauce to some whole wheat penne (which tastes exactly the same as regular pasta, might I add). You can add this to red lentil pasta or even chickpea pasta for a boost of protein as well!
I also think this would pair so well with a stuffed type of pasta like ravioli. I’d love to try making my own ravioli stuffed with this mixture! Hmmm.. maybe a future recipe project? Stay tuned!
And the best part is this creamy pasta sauce is completely vegan! I used coconut milk, but feel free to use any other plant-based milk if you prefer.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the printable and Pinterest pin-able version of this recipe. Give it a try and leave a comment down below on your thoughts! And don’t forget to post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #rosatinutrition so I can see!
Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 can coconut milk, or equivalent of other plant-based milk
- water, if necessary
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a roasting pan with parchment paper.
- Peel, remove seeds and cube butternut squash, cut the onion in 4 and mash garlic cloves. Add everything to the roasting pan. Drizzle with avocado oil, salt, pepper and sage and mix well. Add the rosemary sprigs.
- Roast for 45 minutes, mixing halfway through.
- Add the cooked vegetables to a pot. Heat over med-low and add the can of coconut oil and the nutritional yeast. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Alternatively, add contents to a countertop blender. If the mixture is too thick, add some water to thin it and blend again until desired consistency is reached.
- Add sauce to your favourite cooked pasta and enjoy!